Ron Baker’s recent post on Hard Times taking down the billable hour reminded me of a new objection excuse I am now hearing about why a firm cannot make the transition to pricing with purpose — the economy.
So let’s take a look at the new complete list of excuses. I can’t get off of the billable hour because:
- We are a big firm
- We are a small firm
- We are in a large market
- We are in a small market
- We support a wide variety of customers
- We support a small niche of customers
- We serve big customers
- We serve small customers
- We are an architecture/consulting/accounting/law/engineering/advertising/marketing/technology firm
- We could do this with new customers, but not with long-time customers
- We could do this with long-time customers, but not with new customers
- We are in a troubled economy
- We are in an expanding economy
Am I missing any?